Tuesday 29 January 2008

Hairy men are great


Last night I attended a great little talk thing at the ICA all about facial hair.

It was cool - me and Charlie bumped into Dan. My feeble attempt of a few days growth was overshadowed by both of them and some others in the room. I felt like a child with a bad haircut... although there's nothing new there to be honest.


As well as a live demonstration where a professional barber shaved a member of the audience, we had a panel talking about facial hair: how it has progressed and regressed over the years, how it's still a big taboo for women and Billy Childish telling us about some run-ins with the locals in Chatham due to his facial hair.


Of course all of this encouraged us to swap tales of first razors and ever decreasing sideburns (to the point of having the sides of our heads virtually bald - or maybe that was just me)...


Afterwards I had personally arrived at the conclusion that any successful facial hair needs massive sideburns a la Amos from Emmerdale Farm or Neil Young.


A good night.

1 comment:

charlie gower said...

The bit that swung it for me was the argument describing the correlation between the failing of the British empire and the shrinking of the mustache. Wonderful